Tuesday, July 6, 2010

¡Buenos Tardes!

Currently, I am sitting in an internet cafe writing this blog. Because I am writing in English, pretty much every word right now has a fuzzy red caterpillar underneath it. So sorry in advance is my spelling and or grammar is off.

Three weeks from today, our time at La Palmera will be over. The first two weeks were very busy. During the first week, everyone was so excited to get to know us, not that they aren´t now or anything. On top of that, we were busy doing projects affiliated with the school, like painting the house, inside and out, that the short term volunteers stay at.
During the second week, we went to camp. Camp was pretty overwhelming for a lot of us because very few people speak English here.

Believe it or not, the language barrier was not something that I really thought about before coming on this trip. I knew that I would have to rely on my high school Spanish, but I thought ¨if all else fails, I´ll just use some Spanglish¨. I didn´t even consider though that not very many people here know how to speak English, and if they do, not to the extent that I know Spanish. I´m getting used to it though. It just takes a little patience to communicate with someone.

Anyways, this week, we´ve been taking it comparatively easy. I feel that mostly comes from the two week vacation the school is on right now. We´re still doing projects around the school, like cleaning out a storage closet, creating shelves, and building a garage for the school bus. But for now, I´m enjoying this small break we have by bringing you up to date on all of our adventures.

So far, things I can cross off of my list:
Swimming with pirahnahs.
Camping in the Amazon.
Painting an entire house, inside and out.
Eating cow udder. (It looks like tofu)
Being asked out by a Bolivian high schooler via note. ( It read on the front: For Isabel (that´s what I go by here--it´s easier for them to say and remember) My Love.... (And on the inside) Will you be my girlfriend? Check yes or no). Don´t worry Mom, I turned him down.
Had a beautiful anonymous poem written about me in Spanish. Aww yeah.
Went on a date with a 12 year old for the Camp´s dance on the last night. That wasn´t awkward at all....
Legitimately woken up by roosters. At 4 am. I thought those things only happened in movies. I was so in awe, I wasn´t even disappointed in the lost hours of sleep.
Seen pink dolphins. Yes. They do exist.
Saw a sloth up close and personal. And also monkeys.
Gave a rap in Spanish. Or tried, rather.
Rode on a moto (or motorcycle)
Bought a handmade wooden spoon.
Crammed 10 people into a car that seats 5.
Seen real parrots in the wild. Also, ostrichs. (I don´t know how to spell that)

Things to hopefully cross off my unofficial list soon:
Get my nails and toenails done in Bolivian fashion.
Travel to a small remote village in Bolivia.
Learn how to fish.
Learn traditional Bolivian dances.
Learn how to make homemade empanadas.
Complete building a garage.
And much more...

Until then, adieu. Keep us in your prayers! A few of us are starting to get sick with colds, and the NyQuil supply is running low...and I don´t think they sell any here...We´ll figure it all out eventually when the time comes.

Thanks for following us on all of our adventures!

Blessings,

Stephanie (aka Isabel)

2 comments:

  1. Stephanie,

    My prayers for your health are on their way. Glad to see your check list. Don't forget to get your legs waxed! LOL!!! Try Cherimoya ice cream, and take lots of pictures. I imagine y'all are pretty homesick about now and I pray that God gives you comfort and laughter to pull you through. I can't wait to hear more of your adventures. Blessings-
    -Kristyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're haing fun Steph! Can't wait for you to come home and share all of your stories!!!
    -Renee

    ReplyDelete